Monday, February 13, 2006

Alice in Wonderland and other weekend happenings

On Friday night, Kevin and I went to M for dinner before we went to the ballet to see Alice in Wonderland. Dinner was amazing, and the restaurant was really nice. We got an appetizer (Kobe - chilli cheese fries), which was really good, and a bottle of Riesling. They have an amazing wine list, with selections ranging from about $20 to more than $800. You can get a glass of Dom Perignon for less than $50, which kind of suprised me. Anyways, the salads were amazing and totally out of the ordinary. Mine was arranged so that the lettuce leaves looked like a flower. Kevin ate halibut and I got a filet mignon with bernaise sauce. We split a side order of blue cheesy potatoes, and they were delicious! We didn't have room or time to eat dessert, but the dessert menu looked very tempting.

Alice in Wonderland was very entertaining. There were two actors from the children's theater who melded in with the dancers, and the show was a nice blend of theater and ballet. Kevin's favorite part was their interpretation of Alice falling down the Rabbit Hole, while I particularly liked the catapillar. All in all, it was a great show.

When we got to the theater, there was someone sitting in our seats, so the usher made everyone in our row get up and show her their tickets. Then, she rearranged everyone, and led us to our seats. It was very embarrasing, because she created such a stir. I think the performance must have been sold out, though, because there didn't seem to be any extra seats anywhere to take up the slack caused by the confusion.

On Saturday, Kevin and I had to go to Batteries Plus to replace the high tech back up battery in our home security system. Since it had been dying, the previous two nights the alarms started to go off, just after we had gone to bed. That definitely had to be stopped, so we called around, and found that Battries Plus carried the battery that we needed. We drove over to the one closest to our house near Brice Road, and my friend from high school, James Eisley was working there. He used to work at a Battries Plus on the north side of Columbus during high school, but now it looked like he was in charge of this one. We chatted for a while, and he is married now, too, and working on finishing up his actuarial science degree from OSU.

On Sunday, Kevin and I went to our church's Valentine's Day Banquet, which was actually a lot of fun. Kevin and I tied my parents and two other couples in a version of the newlyweds game, and they gave the prize to my parents because they had been married for the longest out off all the first place couples. Kevin and I had been married for the shortest period of time, and he actually missed the question about how long we have been married. (For the record, we have been married for 8 months, and he said it was only 7.)

Before the banquet on Sunday, Kevin and I went to Graves Piano store and looked at some nice used pianos. Kevin learned all about the mechanics of a piano and how to tell what type of condition a used piano was in. I am only looking to spend about $1,000, so we are definitely going to buy a used piano at this time. The nice thing about buying any piano from Graves is that they will always credit you the entire purchase price if you ever decide to return your piano and buy a better one. So, now we could buy a used piano, and in a few years when I really learn how to play it, we can return it and have a credit for a new one.

We also stopped at the movies and saw The Family Stone. The movie was really good. There was one point where I was crying because it was touching and sad, and then like a second later, I was laughing so hard that I was crying! It really was a funny movie, but kinda sad, too. I would recommend seeing it, as it was very true to human emotions.

No comments: