Thursday, February 9, 2006

Falling Angels by Tracy Chevalier

I just finished reading Falling Angels by Tracy Chevalier. I started reading it on Monday, and it was wonderful! It only took about 5 hours to read, and everytime that I had to stop reading, I was reluctant to put the book down.

It's set in England, during the brief reign of King Edward (just after the Victorian Era). The book is written like Faulkner's As I Lay Dying, where each chacter tells their version of the action from their point of view, as appropriate. However, unlike As I Lay Dying, the action is very clear and easy to follow. The use of the different characters really enhances the story, and the author really makes each of their voices very distinct. I absolutely loved it.

Tracy Chevalier also wrote Girl With a Pearl Earring, which has recently been turned into a movie starring Scarlett Johansson. I saw the movie, and I kinda liked it, but now I think I am going to like the book much more. Needless to say, I'm going to have to read the book.

When I picked up Falling Angels, it looked so good that I actually picked up another of Tracy Chevalier's books, The Lady and the Unicorn. I'll probably read that next, since I already have it. Hopefully it is as good as Falling Angels.

No comments: