Monday, March 13, 2006

It was a good weekend

On Saturday, I cooked practically all day, because Kevin and I had some friends over for a dinner party. I did stop for a bit, though, and go out to BW3 for lunch. Kevin's friend Devon was in town for a conference, and it was her birthday, so we had to go out and celebrate. Kevin was excited about the new sauces at BW3, although I am still of the opinion that the best sauce is still the tried and true teriyaki. And I love their cheesy potato wedges!

Anyways, Kevin and I planned out the menu for our dinner party about a week ago, and we had picked out a chicken cacciatore recipe that works really well in a slow cooker, and serves about 6 people. We both agreed that we would just double the recipe, and that it would be fine for the main course. It wasn't until Saturday morning when we started to add all the ingredients to the slow cooker that we realized that we doubled everything, except the number of slow cookers! So, Kevin ran out to the store and bought a new one, so I am now the proud owner of two slow cookers! I actually like the new one better than the one that I picked out for our wedding registry, but there was no way for me to tell which one was better until I had them side by side for comparison.

Other than that small hiccup, the evening went really well. I think that everyone liked the food, too, because there was hardly any left over. And, it didn't take Kevin and I all that long to clean up on Sunday, either, so that was nice.

On Sunday, Kevin and I went to church with my family, and then out to eat with them at Olive Garden. I finally got to see my mom's new haircut, and it is so much shorter than I had dared to imagine. It is only slightly longer than my dad's hair, which is crazy, because it used to be soo very long.

While we were at dinner, Kevin played a dirty little trick on my parents to see how they would take the news if I was going to have a baby. He said that I had gone to see a doctor, and that we had good news. They looked absolutely panicked! Of course, then Kevin said that the good news was that I was an inch taller, so now I could buy all new clothes, so they relaxed and laughed. But, now we know that they aren't ready to be grandparents, and when it comes time to break the news to them, I don't want to be there. I think I'll send them a singing telegram, so they won't even notice that I avoided being there when they found out!

(My parents just don't handle life-changing news well, especially when it makes them feel old. It took a long time for my dad to get used to the thought of being old enough to have a daughter who was getting married when we got engaged, even though he was happy for us. And he's almost 50, so I don't know what he expects.)

After dinner, Kevin played basketball with my little brothers for a bit, and I watched Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire on DVD. It was my brother's DVD, and it has satisfied my current need to see HP, so I'll be able to wait until Easter to get my copy now. I already know that my parents have bought it for my Easter basket. And, no, I'm not too old to still get an Easter basket. My dad still gets one, too.

No comments: