Monday, May 7, 2012

Band-Aids

I know there are some kids who will pretend to be hurt to get a Band-Aid.  Some kids get a Band-Aid for every little tiny scratch and hang nail.  And who can blame them...what with all the Toy Story, Cars, Angry Birds, Star Wars, and Elmo Band-Aids to choose from.

And then there are my children.  I have two little boys who HATE Band-Aids.  Never mind the Toy Story, Cars, Angry Birds, Star Wars and Elmo selection.

Heaven forbid they are ever wounded enough to actually be dripping blood, thereby making a Band-Aid necessary.  Usually, we just clean up the scrape and then *maybe* get away with spraying on a bit of pain reliever or antibiotic on.  But, if we do need to put on a Band-Aid, they will scream and cry and thrash about, usually much more dramatically than the original wound required.

And then, after they are properly bandaged, they will act like that body part is broken.  Band-Aid on a finger?  They will not use or move that finger until you take the Band-Aid off. 

Lex had to have a Band-Aid on his knee yesterday after he fell down outside, and he acted like he had a broken leg for so long that I started to seriously wonder if he would ever walk again.  He made me carry him all over, and set him up in a little chair with all his toys within arms reach.  Then, we tricked him into forgetting about the Band-Aid, and he walked.  Until he saw it and quickly remembered that he wasn't supposed to be walking. 

And, yes, Connor does the exact same things.  I can't tell you how many times I have said, "It's just a Band-Aid, your finger/leg/arm isn't broken.  You can move it and use it."  But if had a nickel for every time, I'd be rich enough to buy another box of specialty Band-Aids, in the hopes that maybe those would do the trick!

1 comment:

Our Blessed Journey said...

wow, this is VERY strange:D my kiddos have rarely needed a bandaide, but we've spent a small fortune in the anyway...you know, because apparently they are like most kids (sticker appeal)...in their much "younger" days, they would beg for bandaids so often, I had to resort to tape (for non wounds)....and today, I wonder why I never have Scotch Tape:D