Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Rhubarb Bars. Or, Why All Recipes Should Have a Photo.

I got some rhubarb in our weekly fresh market bag. I knew that rhubarb was a beloved dessert ingredient, but I had never seen it or eaten it before, to my knowledge.

So I didn't know what to do with it.  After searching around on the internet, I came across a recipe for rhubarb bars that looked both easy and delicious.  So I made them.

But when the recipe said to "finely chop" the rhubarb, I wasn't quite sure how it should look.  So my dessert came out looking like this.

Which is terrible.

But it was so delicious!  In fact, Kevin gave it a 9 out of 10 for taste.  Appearance is another matter...

I have decided that this is going to be my recipe for the summer.  I am going to perfect it.  Next time I am definitely going to puree the rhubarb.  And maybe mix in some strawberries.  And possibly go for a crumble top.  Stay tuned for that.

For now, here is the basic recipe:

Rhubarb Bars

Ingredients:

Crust:

1 cup flour
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter

Filling:

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cup finely chopped rhubarb

Procedure:

Combine flour and powdered sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into the bottom of a greased 10-inch x 8-inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes. For filling, combine first four ingredients. Stir in rhubarb; pour over warm crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm if desired. Store in refrigerator.

1 comment:

Our Blessed Journey said...

mmmm LOVE rhubarb---growing up, an old man next door to us, known as "Grandpa Nieson" used to grow it in his yard, put some sugar on it and serve it to all the neighborhood kids. And rhubarb in dessert rocks---I have never personally worked with it either.