Friday, October 18, 2013

Beetle Necklaces


So, Connor joined Cub Scouts, and one thing lead to another, and then we all made beetle necklaces.

Okay, let's back up.

Ever since Connor was born, Kevin has been waiting for the day when he would be old enough for Cub Scouts.  Well, that day has come, and they went and joined the local den, pack thingy.

And then they went out and bought his uniform.  It cost $130, and the pants were not even hemmed, and none of the patches were attached. 

So, someone had to spend hours sewing.  And it turned out that that someone was me.

Well, while I was sewing, Connor came in and asked me to teach him how to sew.  He even said that it was his uniform so he should probably do it himself.  I liked the sound of that.  I showed him how, and he even put a few stitches into a patch.

But then he wanted to try what his brother was doing.

You see, the whole time I was sewing, Lex was stringing beads.  I had given him some string and a big blunt needle and some beads to string together in order to keep him occupied.

Lex kept calling the beads "beetles." 

In the end, he made me a necklace.  Connor made one to send to his cousin Cedar.  And then Lex made another one for himself.

Untitled

Don't we look good in our new necklaces?

Untitled
This is the one that Connor made for his cousin Cedar.  I didn't bother explaining to him that bead necklaces were a choking hazard for little babies, mostly because I thought it was so sweet that he wanted to make it and mail it to his cousin, and I didn't want to discourage that at all.

Untitled

This is the first necklace that Lex made.  The one that he made for me.  I love it!

No comments: