Saturday, October 31, 2015

The Making of Smaug

Lex decided that he wanted to be Smaug for Halloween this year.

I tried to talk him out of it.  I figured it would be easier for him to be a Hobbit.  Or a goblin.  Or anything else under the sun, really.  But no.  He wanted to be a dragon.  And not just any dragon.  But Smaug.

Part of me was really pleased.  He's a cool kid.  I like Smaug, too.

But the other part of me was worried about how on earth I was going to make this whole Smaug thing come true.

Enter the internet.  I found a blog about how to make a dragon costume using milk jugs.  We drink a ton of milk, but we don't save the jugs.  So, I just poured the milk into some different containers, and got to work.

Untitled

There was cutting and stapling.

Untitled

And foil and hot glue.

Untitled

And papier-mache.

Untitled

I really recommend that you check out the Filth Wizardry blog if you want step by step instructions so that you can make your own.

Untitled

Then there was spray paint.

Smaug Halloween 2015

We did this part out in the garage.

Smaug Halloween 2015

And then gold paint.

Smaug Halloween 2015

And then black paint.

Smaug Halloween 2015

And then, the dragon's head was complete.  Smaug is born!

All hail Smaug!  The greatest, most complicated Halloween costume we've ever made!

No comments: