Lex had been keeping his ants on the cutting board in the kitchen most of the time. I don't know why, but that was the spot he kept choosing to put them. And then something strange happened. We noticed that the tunnels that the ants had made were filling back up with liquid. It was like the gel was melting. After some observation, Lex realized that the steam from the nearby dishwasher was too hot and too close to his ants. He isn't going to keep them there any more.
So, this morning, Lex and I opened up his ant farm for a little bit of fresh oxygen, and to remove any dead ants. I found four dead ants and got them out with a pair of plastic tweezers that came with some science kit or other that the kids have. Then, we sealed the ants back up.
Here's his final report: