Wednesday, February 17, 2016

The Magic School Bus Science Club

The boys and I have just finished up our last monthly Magic School Bus Science Club kit.

The last one we completed was about weather.

Magic School Bus Science

We have now read all the books and seen all the episodes.  We have completed about ten hands-on experiments on each of the following topics:

Acids and Bases
Volcanoes
Solids, Liquids and Gases
Fossils
Lights, Rainbows and Mirrors
Water
The Human Body
Bacteria and Fungi
Magnets
Stars and Planets
Air
Weather Station

It was a really fun and easy-to-do-at-home early elementary science program.  I think the kids enjoyed it, too. (No one is paying me to say that.)

I usually had any supplies that didn't come with the kit in my kitchen.  Things like water bottles and measuring cups and food coloring.  There were a few times that I had to go out and buy a 2 liter of Pepsi for the larger sized bottle, but I can live with that sacrifice.  You know, in the name of science.

The experiment that impressed me the most was a part of the Bacteria and Fungi kit.  We made our own agar and grew bacteria in petri dishes.  Washing your hands properly is really important, you guys!

Magic School Bus Science

(Connor still really loves these "You Wouldn't Want To..." books, so I got one to go along with this topic.  I get one to go along with every topic we cover when I can find them.)

I also really enjoyed building the model volcano for the volcano kit.  That one was a blast.  A Blast.  You see what I did there?

The End.  I mean, of our Magic School Bus Adventures.  Not of our Science Adventures.

No comments: