Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Roses are Red, Squash is Blue


Roses are red, squash is blue


Our local grocery store is a place called United.  It's a full-service supermarket, and Kevin and I were just discussing how we have become completely reliant upon the checkout clerks who ring us up, as well as the people who bag our food, and then cart it to our vehicle and put it into the trunk.  Long gone are the days of the self-checkouts.


Roses are red, squash is blue

It was an adjustment for us when we first moved here, but it was easy to get used to it, because it's just so nice.  I don't really want to move anywhere where we have to ring up our own groceries, or bag our own groceries, or put our own groceries into the car again.  

Roses are red, squash is blue


United has also been running a new promotion.  For every dollar we spend, we get a point.  Every week there is a new flyer advertising the things you can spend your points on.  For instance, a few weeks ago, the boys each got to pick out a free box of Pop Tarts at a cost of 200 points each.

Roses are red, squash is blue


Sidebar:  We spend the gross domestic national product of a smallish country on groceries.

Roses are red, squash is blue


This past weekend, Kevin spent some of our points on roses for me.

Roses are red, squash is blue


I took the kids grocery shopping again today, and they bought all the usual stuff they like to eat.  They are pretty picky these days.

Roses are red, squash is blue

Their current diet consists of English muffins with butter, peanut butter and chocolate (which we still refer to as nutella, even though it isn't) sandwiches, grilled cheese and tomato soup, mac and cheese, cheeseburgers, cheese and crackers, provolone and pepperoni sandwiches, and penne pasta with butter and parmesean cheese.  Sometimes we get rotini noodles.  The spirals make them feel like they are being adventurous.


Roses are red, squash is blue

Because Kevin and I can't stand to eat so much pasta, I've come up with at least one dinner replacement meal for pasta night for the grown ups.  I usually roast an acorn squash with butter and seasonings in the oven, and then we top that with marinara sauce and cheese and eat it instead of the pasta.  Sometimes I'll go ahead and add a smallish scoop of noodles to my squash if I'm really hungry.


Roses are red, squash is blue

They also like chicken nuggets, but I will only buy them from our local butcher, so they don't get them unless I've been to the butcher.


Roses are red, squash is blue

This time I let them buy a frozen stuffed-crust pizza.  Tonight, after dinner, and after dessert, and after an entire bag of chips disappeared post-dinner/dessert, Connor asked me to please cook him the pizza.  I told him that he would have to wait until tomorrow, because ohmygoodness how could he possibly still be hungry?!  And also, I can't stand the thought of him eating everything we bought at the grocery store the very same afternoon we bought it.  We need to save some food for tomorrow, at least.


Roses are red, squash is blue


He said, "Fine.  I'll wake you up at midnight."


No comments: