Sunday, November 13, 2016

Anglophile Phase

Lex loves to watch videos on You Tube.  They are usually related to the games he is playing, and they are usually done by British people.  It started with Stampy and his Minecraft videos, and then it progressed to Squid and all the other games.  Today, he is watching some other blokes doing Ark Survival of the Fittest videos.

Well, he spends so much time watching these British fellows and listening to them talk, that he has started speaking with an accent himself.  He's actually pretty good at it.  It's like he moved to another country and learned a new language by watching TV.  Except it's still English, and he is still in Texas.

He asked me to make him some tea and crumpets this week, and I finally got around to it yesterday.  Only, I didn't really know what a crumpet was.  So, I found a recipe online and set to making them.  It was the first recipe in my search results, and it wasn't completely accurate.  But I didn't know the difference at first.

Would you like some tea and crumpets?

I'm sure that the batter was correct, but I didn't execute the baking part correctly, and I made English Muffins instead of crumpets.

But, they were delicious and Lex likes them, and next time I will make actual crumpets.  Unless I want English Muffins, in which case I will make these again.

Speaking of making these again, here is how it happened:

Ingredients:

1 tsp Baking Powder
2 1/2 tsp Instant Yeast
3 1/2 cups Flour
1 1/4 tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Melted Butter
1 cup Milk
1 1/2 cup Water

Directions:

Mix all ingredients in stand mixer on high for 2 minutes.  Cover bowl and let rise for 1 hour.  Lightly grease frying pan and spoon batter onto pan.  Cook like pancakes, only at a lower temperature so that the outsides don't burn before the middle is done.

P.S.  The batter was really sticky.
P.P.S.  These were really tasty and easy to make.  I might give up store-bought English Muffins.

No comments: