Saturday, May 20, 2017

Redstone Academy - Planning for Next Year


I already have a pretty good idea of all the curriculum that the boys will be using next year, because most of it is a continuation of the curriculum that we used this year.  We have gotten into some really good series for most of our subjects.  So, when our local homeschool co-op had a used curriculum sale today, I was hoping to find certain things.  Of course, I didn't find any of what I was looking for.

I did, however, find some other things that were interesting enough to buy.

Redstone Academy - Planning for next year

It's time for Lex to learn cursive, so I was happy to spend $1 on these cursive formation flash cards (which are huge) and some lined paper that matches.

Redstone Academy - Planning for next year

I also plunked down another dollar for these totally blank calendars for the kids to customize.

Redstone Academy - Planning for next year

These will be great to go along with our history studies.  There is a set of flash cards with all the information about each person, and then movable paper dolls to be cut out and assembled using brads.  I was particularly pleased that there are two copies of each person, one full color and one black and white, which goes perfectly with the number of students in our school.  I wonder if they will want to take turns with the color/black and white figures, or if they will choose one or the other and stick with it.

Redstone Academy - Planning for next year

The most expensive thing I purchased were these chess guides.  But at $10, it was a fraction of the original price.  Connor is getting really good at chess, and I kind of need the help if I'm going to be able to keep beating him.  Of course, I'm going to teach him and Lex all the stuff in the books too, so my chances of winning aren't great.  Especially since what I really need help with is my endgame, and that book wasn't at the sale.  I might go ahead and order it, though, to complete the set.

Redstone Academy - Planning for next year


This last book is a collection of Native American myths from a tribe in Arizona.  We've been studying all sorts of mythology this year, so I couldn't pass this up.  In fact, we will probably end up reading it sooner, rather than later.

In other news, I have decided to spend another year with the Spanish curriculum that we used this year.  We will finish it up here soon, and then in the fall, we will just start it all over again.  Even though it is a Spanish for Children elementary package, it covers all the same topics as a high school Spanish 1 level class.  Since it was the first time the boys were ever exposed to many of these Spanish words, and the whole Spanish conjugation concept, I think it would be good to do it again.  I know that I repeated Spanish 1 a few times in different schools as a kid, and that's probably what made it so easy for me.  I think I took it once each in elementary, middle and high school.  In any event, it's one less thing that I have to order, because I already have it.  I think I will focus on trying to find some Spanish readers at their level to supplement what we already have, instead of moving on to the next level in the curriculum package.

No comments: