You may have heard about the National Endowment for the Arts' 2004 report "Reading at Risk," which found that nobody reads anything serious anymore. Well, as a response, they have put together a program called The Big Read, where everyone in America is supposed to read one of the following four books this spring:
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitgerald
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
There are ten cities that are going to be the focus of the program, with all kinds of advertising and activities, but none of them are in Ohio. The NEA plans to expand the program after this year, with a goal of having 100 major cities in the US participate in The Big Read.
I was pleased with myself because I have already read The Great Gatsby and Their Eyes Were Watching God, and I have Fahrenheit 451 sitting at home, waiting for me, because I recently checked it out of the library on a whim. I've never really been interested in reading To Kill a Mockingbird. Does anyone know if it is any good?
No comments:
Post a Comment