Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Ptolemy's Gate - The Bartimaeus Trilogy Book Three

I just finished reading the last book in the Bartimaeus Triology, and I really, really liked it. The final book was very satisfying, and it really brought the whole series to a close, and answered all of the questions that I had along the way. Not to say that it wasn't an action-packed ending, because it was!

Since I've just finished this book, I feel a little bit sad (I think that's what it is), because there isn't any more to the story. It's not that the author left any loose ends, it's just that there isn't any more to it. I wonder how I feel when I finish reading the last Harry Potter book, after it's been written and released. I had been anticipating the arrival of this book, but I've been anticipating the last Harry Potter book for much longer, and with more enthusiasm. Plus, there are so many more questions still unanswered in the Harry Potter series, that I wonder if JK Rowling will remember to address them all. I think that writing a 7 book series would be much more difficult than writing a trilogy, but I can't imagine fitting all of the HP story into only three books. Maybe after the 7th one, I will wish that it was a longer series.

Anyway, enough about Harry. Bartimaeus rocks! I really love the way that he communicates directly to you throughout the series by using footnotes for the really juicy comments. It really lends personality to the character, and it makes the story very enjoyable. I would recommend the series to anyone who likes fantasy and/or alternative histories.

No comments: