Wednesday, February 1, 2006


I am a little purse person. I have been toying with the idea of buying a new purse lately (not that it will actually happen anytime soon - a woman shopping for a purse is comparable to a man shopping for a car, and maybe even a new house with a garage to store it in), and every purse that I keep picking up in the stores is even smaller than the one that I carry now. If you aren't familiar with my current purse, you should know that it is tiny. (I drink a cup of coffee every morning that is as tall as my purse - just look at the picture.)

Anyway, I think that I am drawn towards small purses, and each of my purses is progressively smaller than the last. I think I have a fear of large purses, and by extension, of becoming a bag lady. But, I am not alone...

I recently read a financial article online that said that a surprising percentage of women actually have the fear of becoming a bag lady, and that each woman expresses it differently, and that most don't even realize that they harbor this fear. I apparently express my natural fear of one day being destitute in my old age by carrying really tiny, expensive purses now.

(Or, maybe I just don't want to carry a big heavy bag with me everywhere I go, and internet article authors over-analyze and complicate things.)

No comments: