Tuesday, March 21, 2006

This is what Spring looks like?

It's the second day of spring, and the forecast is for a huge winter storm, and there is a ton of snow falling outside my window this very minute. What gives?

Last night, Kevin and I watched How I Met Your Mother, and it was hilarious. Kevin thinks that it might have been the funniest episode yet. During one of the commercial breaks, there was an advertisement for Barney's Blog on the CBS website, which I had stumbled upon Sunday during the OSU game. Barney's Blog is also hilarious, and you should check it out. Don't complain, just go. Then, laugh.

Speaking of the OSU game, what a let down. They were supposed to win the tournament, just like I had in my bracket! Kevin says that we are in last place in the bracket pool. I guess that's what happens when you let your wife pick the brackets for you. (Sorry honey!)

Over the weekend, I watched two new movies that I had never seen before: In Her Shoes and Guess Who. Both were very entertaining, and funny. I guess I've been in the mood for funny lately.

Kevin's Aunt Kathy, Uncle Tom and cousin Megan came to visit on Saturday. I made dinner, and it turned out really well. Megan brought Zoey, who is almost one, and she had just learned to walk this past week, so she was all over the house. But, she was so adorable. We are going down to Cincinnati this weekend for her first birthday party. I'm really looking forward to it.

Speaking of parties, we are starting to plan my grandma and grandpa's 50th wedding anniversary party for this summer. My cousin is having our family history researched, and then we are going to have a family tree printed and framed as a gift. I had been planning on getting them something else, and I talked to Kevin about it, and he agreed with me that we should continue with our gift plans and send some money for the family tree. So, I mailed my cousin a check this morning, and I'll give you more details on the other gift when I finish thinking about exactly what I want to do.

I'm really looking forward to the anniversary party this summer, but in talking about it and planning it, I've found out some things that are kinda bothering me. First, I now realize (again) how sheltered my life has been, and for the first time, I am realizing that I prefer it that way. The second thing that is bothering me is that my grandparent's 50th anniversary is this June, and my Dad's 50th birthday is this December, and no one has ever mentioned that to me before. (But why would they?) The third thing is something that I found out when I asked who all would probably be coming to the party. I found out that my grandpa had a brother named Ed that I never met, and who had cancer, and was in so much pain that he shot himself sometime recently (within the past two years or so, I guess). I don't think that there was a funeral or anything.

On a lighter note, Kevin's Aunt Dawn and Uncle Kerry in Texas sent us our wedding gift, and we got it on Friday night. They took a picture from our wedding day and had an artist reproduce a portrait of us in pencil. It is really amazing, and the frame and mat that they picked out match our decor perfectly, so we've already hung it up in our living room. It looks very nice there, and it was a very thoughtful and original gift.

Sidebar: About City Center closing, I called Victoria's Secret the other day to see if they were still open. Here is the conversation:

Julie: I'm calling to make sure that you are still open.

Sales Lady: Yes we are! (Singsong and cheerful voice)

Julie: Do you know if the mall is going to be closing?

Sales Lady: Not as far as I know! (Very mad and brisk voice)

CLICK! (Ms. SalesPerson hung up on me!)

So, I don't know what that means, but I seriously doubt that the mall will be open much longer, even if the sales people aren't allowed to say it. Maybe I upset her because I reminded her that she might be losing her job.

1 comment:

Pam said...

Can't sleep. I was looking at all your posts labeled "grandparents" and found this. Didn't know if you ever got an update. Ed was not Pap Pap's brother. Ed was Aunt Ila's husband. Well, ex-husband. Actually her twice-ex-husband. Apparently they got married, then divorced, then married again, and divorced again.