Monday, June 12, 2006

The Weekend


This weekend was really good. I'm so glad that I have a digital camera, because Kevin and I took about 250 pictures (not counting the ones that were deleted from the camera immediately because they were no good) from Friday to Sunday.

Saturday, Kevin and I drove to East Liverpool for my grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary party. I brought the 7-layer bean dip and cracker brittle just like I had planned, and they both turned out well. We had a BBQ and hung out with family before surprising my grandparents with gifts and cake. My grandma whined about the corsage that I pinned to her shirt, so I took it off after about 20 minutes. I think she mostly just wanted the attention, but maybe it was a bit annoying because it was weighing down her shirt. We had only been at my grandparents' house for about a half hour before my grandpa brought out his gun collection to show off. He always does that.

We all pitched in for my cousin to have some research done, and we presented my grandparents with a huge print of the family tree. I was surpised to see that at one point, our last name was spelled "Kiper," which explains why my grandpa pronounces it that way (I always thought he just had a bad accent), and that our family did marry into the Schindlers before the war, which I never had really believed, because my grandpa didn't ever mention it before the movie Schindler's List came out.

My grandparents really liked the blanket, but they didn't realize that I had made it by hand at first. Kevin told them that I had later after they had opened it, and my grandma started crying. I got a second round of big hugs for it then. :)

On Sunday, Kevin and I went to church, and then we went to the church picnic. That was a ton of fun, too. We had it at Sharon Woods, and I've always liked that park. We played cornhole, and Kevin and I did pretty well, probably because of all of the practice we had the day before from playing with my family.

After the BBQ, we went to my friend Rebecca's graduation party. (Rebecca's little brother, Caleb, was the ring bearer in our wedding.) She just graduated from the Gahanna Christian Academy, where she went to high school, and she is going to the Mount Vernon Nazarene University this fall. Before that, though, she is going to El Salvador on a mission trip to minister to children. I wish her the best of luck with that! (I can't imagine going on a mission trip, but I'm glad that other people can do it.)

Since I'm done with the blanket that I made for my grandparents, I am going to start working on curtains for our master bath this week!

No comments: