So, today I wrote the greatest opening to a story ever written. The only problem is that I really don't know what the story is, so some of the details are missing. You can see what I mean:
It was the variety of rain that most often fell on parades. However, this rain, not at all like the rain that fell thundering from Heaven on the morning of my wedding day but later transformed into a picture-perfect blue sky (I have the pictures to prove it), was falling directly upon my __________________, ruining the common perception that I was either extraordinarily lucky or very friendly with Thor and his ax, Mjolnir. Still, with as much poise as I could muster, given the circumstances and the condition of the ______________, I greeted my guests. It was more than could be expected.
If this is a garden tea party kind of story, then the rain would be falling on the garden tea party and the speaker would be referring to the condition of her wilted centerpieces or rain spotted tablecloths. If this is more of a regatta-type story, perhaps she is lamenting the condition of the swollen river and dirty beach.
What kind of cruelty is this, to have a likeable beginning but no story. Can someone craft an entire story out of a beginning like this?
No comments:
Post a Comment