Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Mommy, can we keep it?

This weekend was very full and busy for us. Not only did we travel out of town to visit Grandma Ella and celebrate her birthday and take a trip to the Cleveland Kid's LegoFest, but on Friday night we got a new pet.

Kevin and Connor and Lex were playing in the backyard while I was getting dinner onto the table. Then, right before I was set to call them in, they came in with a tiny little kitten. They wanted to keep it for a pet. It was so shocking to me, that I cannot even remember what it was that we ate for dinner that night now.

We ended up taking it to the vet, and the little thing is approximately 8 weeks old, weighs about one pound, and he has a lung infection, so we started some antibiotics. He has a runny nose (and eyes) and sneezes all the time, but he should get better soon. But besides that, he is the sweetest little kitten ever, and the boys are totally in love with him.

The boys have named him Cruiser, after the famous Groveport horse. Connor takes exceptionally good care of Cruiser. When I wake up in the morning, Connor has usually let Cruiser out, and the two of them are cuddling on the couch and watching cartoons together. While Lex napped yesterday, Connor and I played Monopoly. The entire time, Cruiser snoozed on Connor's lap. It is a really cuddly kitten.


Lex is totally over the moon for the kitten, and we are working on keeping him from loving the little guy to squish. It has taken a few days, but I think we have finally established that once the cat walks away from Lex, Lex is not to go and chase it. Because then the cat hides and Lex cries.

"Mommy, Cruiser ran off. I want my kitty. In my hand."

That's what Lex says. Or sobs, as the case may be.

Here's a funny thing that Connor said about the cat while we were at the vet. When the vet informed us that Cruiser was a boy, Connor said, "I knew it was a boy. If it had been a girl, it would have come with a bow on its head."

1 comment:

amoryg said...

Awww!!!! What a sweet gift you gave to your boys. And what a cute kitten! :)