Friday, July 17, 2015

The Trouble with Vitamins

Okay, y'all.  We live in Amarillo which, you may or may not realize, doesn't offer a whole lot of shopping options.  So I order a ton of things online.  Which is great.  Thank God for the internet.

One of the things that I usually order online are the kids' vitamins.  It's really hard to find vitamins around here that aren't full of sugar or aspartame.  I don't know why.  Vitamins are supposed to be healthy, right?  So, I ordered their vitamins last week as per usual, but when they arrived, the entire bottle of vitamins had melted together into one big bottle-shaped lump, instead of being 90 separate organic gummy bear shaped vitamins.  It wasn't like the box was sitting outside for a long time either.  I signed for it, and brought it right inside, but the vitamins were already melted.  I'm not too upset.  It is 100 degrees outside.  And I got a refund, no questions asked.

But I figured that any additional vitamin orders would probably melt, too.  So, we decided to try to find some other vitamins here in town, at least until the weather cools a bit.

Yesterday we bought some new gummy vitamins for the boys.  I'm not entirely happy with them, but I figured that they are better than nothing.  They are natural fruit gummies, with no sugar added, and they have like half of the nutrients that I wish they had.  But better than nothing.

Until they had to eat them this morning.  Lex ate both of his (serving size is two here, folks), but he complained that they were too spicy.  They smelled like strawberry fruit snacks to me, so I don't know what he is talking about.

Connor, however.  Well, somehow I have raised quite a picky eater in Connor.  He didn't want anything to do with these new vitamins.  He even asked for the old vitamins, which he didn't like, but did eat, with only a little gentle prodding every day.

So, I explained that he didn't have to eat the vitamins at all if he would go ahead and have a serving of berries and broccoli with his breakfast.  No, he doesn't eat broccoli or berries on the regular.

Here's what happened:


Yes, I paid Lex a dollor in pocket change for eating that piece of broccoli.  Don't judge.  No, I didn't force Connor to eat either his tiny piece of broccoli or his second vitamin.  But I did make them clear their plates and load them into the dishwasher.  That counts for something good, right?

No comments: