Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Natural Bridge Caverns

This is going to be a photo-intensive post.

This was one of the coolest things I have ever taken the kids to do.

I get a Cool Mom of the Year Award Star for this one.

IMG_1834

We spent the morning doing the ropes course and the zip lines.  It was intense.  It was like American Ninja Warrior, which the kids love.  They loved this.  It was so high up.  It was their idea.  I saw other little kids who were scared stiff, and they were there because their family was making them do it.  It didn't end well for them.  In our case, I was the nervous one and I was only doing it because the kids wanted to go.  We lied about Lex's weight to get him on the zip line.  He only weighed about 53 pounds, and he had to be 60.  It was fine.  He made it to the other side just fine.  And even though I was the nervous one, I *knew* that the harness would hold me, so we managed to have tons of fun.  Even if the adrenaline rush was exhausting at the end.

IMG_1837

Here are Connor and Lex, after they were done with the high ropes obstacle course and the zip lines.  I don't know if you can tell, but they had the time of their lives.

IMG_1835

There are no photos of us actually doing the ropes course or the zip lines because we couldn't have anything in our hands or pockets while we were up there.  I had locked my camera and my phone in a locker, safely on the ground.

IMG_1838

After the high ropes course, we tackled the maze.

IMG_1841

Of course it was huge.

IMG_1842

There were four checkpoints inside the maze that we each had to find.

IMG_1845

Here is Lex, at the F Checkpoint.

IMG_1849

Connor finished it in the fastest time.

IMG_1850

Then, we had a nice lunch inside the cafe, and since it was getting to be the hottest part of the day, we decided to tour the caverns.

IMG_1856

You can see the Natural Bridge for which this place was named over Connor's shoulder.

IMG_1863

IMG_1866

Another view of the Natural Bridge.  We passed under it when we went into the cave.

IMG_1868

This is the photo-dump part.  I took a ton of photos down in the cave.  The tour was amazing.  The caves were amazing.  The cave formations were amazing.  We saw stalactites and stalagmites and cave straws and cave ribbons and cave curtains and all sorts of cave things.  First we walked down and down and down into the earth, and then we walked back up and up out the other side.

IMG_1872

IMG_1877

IMG_1888

IMG_1893

IMG_1896

IMG_1911

This one reminds me of a creature from the movie Aliens.  Or a jellyfish that you wouldn't want to meet in the midnight zone of the ocean.

IMG_1932

IMG_1939

IMG_1948

If you ever get the chance to go to the Natural Bridge Caverns, you should.  We really had a great time there!

No comments: