Thursday, March 24, 2016

The Best Quiche I've Ever Made

Let's all just stop for a moment and appreciate the best quiche that I've ever made.

Easter

Okay, fine.  It's the only quiche that I've ever made.  But rarely has a first attempt at anything been so perfectly successful.  In fact, this quiche is so good that I am sure I have perfected the art of quiche and may retire from the practice entirely.  Except then I would need someone else to cook my quiches for me when I get a craving.

How it happened:

I have been craving pie.  So I started talking about making pies for Easter.  Connor suggested an egg pie, you know, because Easter Eggs.  Egg pie?  Why, that's a quiche!

So I looked into my trusty cook book and found three quiche recipes.  I didn't have all the ingredients for any one of them, so I just kinda combined them to make my own.

The Recipe (as I recall it):

Pie Crust:

1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup cold water

Bake at 450 degrees for 8 minutes with double layer of foil.  Remove foil and bake 5 more minutes.

Filling:

Sauteed green onions, red onions, mushrooms, garlic cloves, tomatoes.
7 eggs (because that's all the was left after we made Easter eggs)
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sour cream (about - I just used what was left in the container)
1/2 cup shredded  cheddar cheese (about - I just used what we had left)
A few big handfuls of spinach
Salt
White Pepper
Northwoods Seasoning (Penzey's)
Mural of Flavor (Penzey's)

Bake at 325 degrees for all of eternity.  Not really.  I checked it after 45 minutes and it was almost done, but not quite.  Then I checked it again after 10 minutes several times, until it was finally done.  We live at a higher altitude, so things like quiche and cookies and cakes bake differently.


No comments: