Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Lex: On Homeschooling, Life and Star Wars

Oftentimes, I will forget that Lex is a six year-old, because most of the time, he acts way older than that.  His vocabulary is amazing.  He is interested in older things.  He plays with Connor and keeps up on his level all day, every day.  He's very socially intuitive and aware of what is going on around him.  Most of his best friends are twice his age, and are going to be in middle school next year.  His other friends are Connor's age.

But every once in a while, he will get mad about something really trivial (to a grown up), like who got to take the suitcase off the conveyor belt at the baggage claim at the airport (I said I was sorry), and when I try to figure out what the heck just happened, I will have to actively remind myself that he is still only 6 years old.

For crying out loud, when I was 6, I was in kindergarten.

Then, when I remember that, it all makes sense again.

Don't let the Drowzee eat my brownie!

If we didn't homeschool, he would have just finished kindergarten himself.  But we do homeschool.  So, when he was four, and he was ready for kindergarten, we did it.  Then last year he finished first grade in less than a whole school year, and started on second grade.  So when I look at him, I see a little boy who is a second grader, who is going to be doing some second grade and some third grade coursework in the fall.  Because he is ready for it.  And most of the time, that's what he acts like.  Or older.  He's 6 going on 16.  Or 21.

He asked me if he could stay a homeschooler until he was old enough to drive.  I think he plans on going to college then.

Since we are talking about Lex (if you are reading this, I love you, buddy!), here is a funny conversation that he had with Daddy a few days ago (I wrote it down because it made me laugh):

Daddy:  "Lex, how many hours would you guess that you have watched on You Tube?"

Lex:  "One million."

(This is only a slight exaggeration.  I think.)

Daddy:  "And, what do you think of good verses evil?"

Lex:  "I guess I would say that I like the dark side because they get better colored light sabers."

(I didn't know we were talking about Star Wars here.)


No comments: