Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Lady and The Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier


I just finished reading another book by the author of Girl with a Pearl Earring. It was set up the same way as the first one I read, Falling Angels, where each chapter is narrated from a different character's point of view. The subject material was very similar to that of The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant, with the artist that sleeps with women he isn't supposed to, where a convent is an appealing choice to life at home, and there is a large comission for a piece of art, all set in about 1490 or so. I really liked the book, and I think one of my new favorite fiction niche genres is the historical fiction about art where the artist seduces a noblewoman. God, I just reread that sentence, and I am probably only a mere step away from reading grocery store paperback romances! (But I won't. Not yet. There are too many other things on my reading list at the moment.)

Note: I didn't mean to offend anyone who reads grocery store paperback romances or anything, but come on...

I also think that I may want a tapestry to hang somewhere in our house, and that I may look into figuring out how they are made and learning how to make them. I've always thought it would be cool to have a tapestry of our family tree. But, who knows if I'll ever get around to actually learning/doing it. (Oh, and this remark isn't totally random; the large piece of art commissioned in The Lady and the Unicorn is a set of six large tapestries telling the story of the seduction of the unicorn, which is a totally different story than the artist tells to seduce the ladies, wherein he is a unicorn with a magic horn which can be used to purify a well.)

No comments: