Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Two New Poems

Here are two new poems that I have written recently. (Yes, the second one is still untitled at the moment. Sigh. For all the scolding I do about titles, you would think I would try harder to title it, but I just am not in a place to do so right now.) Anyway, one minute I love them, the next I don't. But don't let that spoil it for you. (Sometimes, they can do plenty to spoil it for themselves.)

________________________________________________________________________

The Power of Suggestion

Yellow shades of Tuesday morning

scatter on my wall, smiling –

prompt me to arise.

Brisk paced petals unfold,

as if time is speeding up,

to gaze upon the world

each morning anew.

As I stretch like a cat

and look at my Cheshire

grin in the mirror

the sunlight disappears

behind a cloud, leaving

me, with only a hint of waking.

________________________________________________________________________

I want to be the purveyor of something fine –

A specialist in souls glinting in the sun,

Like rubies and emeralds, a pure sapphire.

We are blameless, we are one and whole.

Can we trade ourselves with each other

For love?

Can we exchange our diamonds for time

Or a Baldwin piano with white keys set in mahogany?

No comments: