Wednesday, March 1, 2006

Farenheit 451


Well, I finished Farenheit 451 yesterday. It was a lot shorter than it looked, because there were some essays and stuff at the back of the book, so I was kinda surprised when I came to the end.

I liked the book. I'm glad that I have finally read it, because now I feel educated. I probably should have read it long ago, though, like in high school or something. Montag is a cool guy, and I was really stunned by the genius of naming the first section "The Salamander and the Hearth," because it was all about Montag and his wife and Clarissa, and how he used to be the salamander, but his home is so cold and not at all homelike.

How sad would it be if the only record of books were what a few people remembered of them when they walked around in the wilderness? I mean, if I ever get a book published, would anyone bother to remember that one if all the copies of it were burnt? What if my book survived and something better didn't? I can't imagine that it would be easy to burn ALL the copies of the Bible or Shakespeare, because there are just so so many of them. Crazy. And what about the millions of copies of Harry Potter? Kids would definitely try to keep those.

And now I've begun rambling, so I'll just stop. I don't know where this would end up otherwise. Because the thought of not having books is just mind boggling.

No comments: