Saturday, June 3, 2006

Kittens!

Well, the sorority bbq was a success!! I'll post pictures when I get back to work this week, as it is easier to upload them on my pc at work than it is to upload them on my laptop at home.

But, one of my sorority sisters discovered a litter of kittens in our backyard. I think that the mother must have just moved them there recently, or maybe I just missed them before. I looked up some information about kittens online, and I am guessing that they are between 2 and 3 weeks old. There are four of them.

Our next door neighbor feeds stray cats, and there is quite a colony of kittens going on. Last summer there was a litter of 6 when we moved in, and now one of them has had a litter of 4. I can only imagine how many there will be by the end of the summer. I haven't seen a bunch of the other cats lately, and now I think they might be hiding with their own litters. I guess we shall see when the kittens get older.

Anyways, one of the kittens in this litter hasn't opened one of its eyes yet. I'm afraid it might be a serious genetic problem, as there was one like that last summer that never opened one of its eyes. I think it finally died. I'm still considering what to do about this cat.

In fact, I'm considering what to do about the un-fixed cat colony as a whole. There is a program with a hotline that we can call to report our neighbor for feeding and keeping cats outside that aren't fixed, and they will come, trap the cats, fix them, and then return them.

I might just have to go meet this neighbor and talk to him about the cats. I'm sad to say that I've never really had a conversation with him yet, and he lives right next door, and we've been here almost a year.

So, I'm thinking about it all. But the kittens are really cute. Anyone want one in a few weeks?

No comments: