Today when I was eating lunch in the common kitchen for our floor, which we share with the law firm next door, a young girl (maybe 18 or 19) came in to make microwave popcorn. I introduced myself and tried to make small talk while her popcorn was in the microwave.
Sidebar: Have you ever noticed how long it takes to pop a bag of popcorn? Dear God in Heaven!
Anyways, she is back home for summer break from some university in North Carolina. She is studying Political Science, and she is working for the lawyer next door because he is a "good family friend." I told her that I went to OSU, and she said she was thinking of transferring back home. She asked what I studied at OSU, and I told her that my major was English.
She then said, in just that tone of voice: "What are you doing here, then?"
I brushed it off with an "I don't know," but what I meant was "I'm sorry, I didn't realize that being home for the summer made you better qualified to work in a law firm than my English degree makes me."
Sheesh.
No comments:
Post a Comment