Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Bats! Bats! Bats!

I once read about the nightly flight of the bats from underneath the Congress Street Bridge in Austin, and while I thought it was pretty neat, I never really thought that I would go and see it.

And then, it just so happened that I was in the right place at the right time, and see it I did.

IMG_1461

I will confess, it is one of the weirdest phenomenons I've ever encountered.  These bats are so cool that hundreds of people gather every night near this bridge to see them.  Nevermind that it was 100 degrees outside, even after the sun went down.  There were people selling ice cream snacks and popsicles.

IMG_1458

We sat around the park by the bridge for a bit, eating our treats.

IMG_1460

IMG_1462

Then, we decided that we wanted a river-front spot to watch the bats come out.

IMG_1476

So the bats live inside the underside of the bridge.  1.5 million Mexican free-tailed bats.

IMG_1489

It's the largest urban bat colony in the world.  And they all come out as the sun sets so that they can eat bugs.

IMG_1515

For the record, anything that eats mosquitoes is fine by me.

IMG_1540

Since they are bats, they don't really start appearing at any exact time.  Sitting around waiting and watching for the first ones to appear was part of the fun.

IMG_1541

The tiny bats moved too quickly for the camera to catch clearly in the dim light, but you can see them alright in the video.


No comments: