Monday, July 18, 2016

Mango Bacon Quiche

I made up a new kind of quiche, and I figured that I had better write it down, just in case I ever want to make it again.

I keep doing that.  I make something up, and then I write it down so that I could make it again, but instead, I usually just end up making another something new.  But I still can't resist the urge to write it down.

So, here goes...

Untitled


My Potentially World-Famous Mango Bacon Quiche
(Modesty is the best policy. Potentially.)

For the crust:

1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold butter
1/4 cup cold water

(Do you know how to make a crust?  I don't want to insult your intelligence, but if you are here looking for crust information, here it is:  mix the dry ingredients in a big bowl.  Cut in the butter until it's pea-sized.  Add the water and stir, mixing with your hands until you have a nice dough ball.  Then roll out on a floured surface until big enough for your pan.  I'm sure there is a YouTube video or 200 that goes into all the minute detail.  Isn't the internet wonderful?)

Bake the crust, covered with two pieces of aluminum foil (the inside one can be crumbled to fit the inside of the pan, then another one over the top of the whole thing) at 450 degrees for 8 minutes.  Remove the foil and bake for another 5 minutes.  The crust should be nice and brown and dry when done.

While the crust is baking, you can make the filling. (I also usually have to clean up all the flour that's now everywhere.)

For the filling:

7 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
2/3 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
3 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
1 1/2 cups mango salsa mixture (fresh mango, cilantro, green and red peppers, red onions - all diced)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp Mural of Flavor
1/4 tsp Roasted Garlic

Mix the filling, and then pour it into the hot pie crust.  Bake at 325 degrees for about an hour, until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.

Notes:

If you forget and cook the quiche at the same temperature at the pie crust, it will burn.  I can tell you from experience that it is still mostly edible, except for the outer crust, but that it looks really bad.  No potential for a blue ribbon, if that's what you are going after.

I sauteed the mango salsa mix in the same pan that I used to cook the bacon for a few minutes to give it added bacon flavor, and to make it fire-roasty.  (Roasty is totally I word. That I just made up. Potentially.)

Mural of Flavor and Roasted Garlic are my two favorite spices from Penzey's right now.

Untitled

Behold, my most recent spice shipment, in all its spicy goodness.

No comments: